Dry skin is frustrating! You can lather moisturizer onto it every day but it never seems to look smooth and lustrous. When you wear makeup, it flakes because of the dryness you can’t seem to shift and your skin tends to look dull. The good news is that you can easily and successfully treat dry patches at home.
What Causes Dry Skin?
Before you can treat the dry patches on your face, you need to know what causes them. The most common causes of dry skin include:
- Harsh skincare products. If you are using soaps and cleanses that are filled with chemicals or that you use too roughly on your skin, this can lead to irritation in the form of dry patches.
- Washing your skin with hot water. It feels great and soothing to use hot water, but it isn’t good for your skin. This is because hot water zaps your skin’s natural oils that keep it smooth and moisturized.
Sun exposure can have a drying effect on your skin because the UV rays damage the skin’s collagen, the structures which keep your skin springy and soft.
- The natural ageing process. The older we get, the more our hormone levels change, causing dry or thin skin.
How to Treat Dry Patches
Now that you have a better idea of what’s causing those annoying dry patches, get moisturized skin with these tips:
Choose mild and nourishing skincare products. These are kinder to your skin and make it look smooth. You should also try to use homemade ingredients for face masks and scrubs as this will prevent you from using too many chemicals on your skin. A simple nourishing DIY face mask can work wonders to invigorate and soften your skin from head to toe. Mix together a teaspoon of baby oil and two tablespoons of mayonnaise. Apply it to your face and body and sit with it for 20 minutes before rinsing it off. Both ingredients have a softening effect for the skin.
- Wash your skin with lukewarm water. This will prevent your skin from drying out. You should also moisturize with water-rich foods that you can topically apply to keep your skin hydrated. Cucumber is high in water content and when you mix four tablespoons of mashed cucumbers with two tablespoons of sour cream, you get a revitalizing and moisturizing recipe. Leave it on your skin for 20 minutes before washing it off.
- Be diligent about wearing sunscreen every time you expose your skin to the sun. You should also try this recipe to repair dry patches and heal sun damage if you’re guilty of UV exposure: mix together two tablespoons of bentonite clay powder, five drops of rose otto essential oil, three tablespoons of hot green tea, one teaspoon of baobab oil, and 28 drops of lavender essential oil. Apply the blend to your face and sit with it for about 15 minutes before washing it off. It’s a great mask for fighting free radical damage while maintaining your skin’s natural oils that keep it smooth and healthy.
- Treat age-related skin dryness by exfoliating regularly. Make a skin scrub with delicious ingredients such as oatmeal and yogurt. Mix them together and leave them on for 20 minutes. Your skin will glow and look youthful because oatmeal scrubs your skin while yogurt contains lactic acid to keep wrinkles at bay. You can also exfoliate your skin with a skin brightening product containing lactic acid. This has the effect of making your skin softer and more radiant in one easy daily routine.
Having softer, beautifully moisturized skin is an important part of a healthy complexion. Treat your skin to these luxurious home remedies and say farewell to dry patches on your face!